There are a lot of factors that can make pushing a pram more comfortable. For this reason, pram manufacturers are looking to the needs of parents for inspiration. Some parents, for example, are bringing up two different children with two different personalities, who therefore require various features on a pram. When creating pram accessories the weather and time of year are also considered, as well as the varying conditions of roads and paths. The ideal accessories make for a pleasant and comfortable day, for both parents and children.
1. Now, later or nice to have – Which accessories are really important?
If you buy the first pram or pram accessories, you may well find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer mass of products on offer: not just prams for any need and in any price class, but also accessories from footmuff to parasol and cup holder. But what of all this is important and what belongs into the category "nice to have"? And when is the best time for purchasing the various accessories? This guide tries to answer the most important questions.
2. Which advantages do the various accessories have?
Here, it's important to distinguish further. Each pram accessory has its own purpose. Which accessory is most important for your needs depends on how you as a parent want to use the pram. Here is a basic overview of the advantages the different pram accessories can offer.
- Footmuffs, seat covers and hand-warming muffs
- Rain cover and parasol
- Active parents who go out with their children in any weather can use these accessories to protect their child safely and effectively from sun, wind and rain.
- Diaper bags and shopping baskets
- Diaper accessories, toys, shopping – all these things need to be transported by pram sooner or later. Diaper bags and shopping baskets are the ideal accessory for this purpose
- Adapters, baby car seats and buggy boards
- With these pram accessories, the pram becomes even more functional. Thanks to adapters, you can use baby car seats as pram seat and turn the pram into a versatile travel system. Carrycots transform the buggy to a newborn pram. And buggy boards attach to the pram, offering older siblings a place to stand.
- Transport bags
- This pram accessory is indispensable for any parents who like to take their pram along when traveling.
3. Checklist: What to watch out for when buying
When buying pram accessories, it's important to check compatibility. In other words, you need to make sure that an adapter, carrycot, buggy board or transport bag actually fits your own model of pram. There are some universally suitable pram accessories, but also those that only fit a specific manufacturer's own make. Also, every product you purchase should meet your individual requirements, and this applies to pram accessories, too. Diaper bags are available in different sizes and shapes, carrycots are available as lightweight standard version or with numerous extras. With other products, there is also a wide range available.
4. When to buy?
The best time to buy pram accessories depends on the accessory in question: buying a footmuff should be done in time before the cold season starts. A parasol, on the other hand, needs to be on your spring-time shopping list. And you need to buy a transport bag well in time before you go on holiday, so you can do a trial run in advance before you travel.